Friday, September 07, 2007

Tight like unto a dish

If I had a top-5 list of my favorite types of candies, the following would probably comprise that list:
1) Candy Corn. Since I was a little kid, I have loved the rush that these nuggets of seemingly pure sugar give. After making the transition to adulthood, one would suspect this craving for candy corn would die down. After just stopping at Walgreen's and seeing a pack hanging on the shelf, I realized that the sugar beast inside me has not died. The pumpkins that they make are pretty much made out of the same ingredients and have the same flavor, so I'd group both candies together on this list.
2) Swedish Fish. Give it up to the Swedes for inventing Swedish Fish. You can buy them big or small, multi- or uni-colored. So good! I used to doubt the Swedish origins of this candy, thinking perhaps that it was some American marketing scheme to get people to buy. But recently I visited an Ikea and what did I behold besides the amazing selection of good quality household furnishings? You guessed it.
3) Cinnamon Bears. I've always liked the flavor of cinnamon, since I was a little kid. Those atomic fireballs gave me my highs growing up. Cinnamon bears not only provide the necessary sugar that a growing individual needs, but also the sustenance. The next time you have the opportunity, look carefully at the nutritional labeling of cinnamon bears. You will see that there is an ingredient maltodextrin. This compound when combined with peanut butter and pretzels form a molecule that can be used as a substitute for protein and fat. If you doubt me, go talk to the Army. They use pills of this form to feed soldiers in extreme conditions. Together with the sugar, your caloric intake is covered, unless of course you want anti-oxidants which many fruits and vegetables contain. In which case, you can always take a multi-vitamin. I learned of the value of cinnamon bears a couple years back when I used to live in Provo. While shopping one evening, I saw a huge bag of cinnamon bears for 5 bucks at Smiths. I was skeptical that I would get sick after eating large quantities of the bears. After taking O-Chem, I now know why it never happened: maltodextrin.
4) An M&M variety of some sort depending on my mood. Nowadays there is a type of M&M for every mood of mine. I used to like the plain M&M's the very most. But on certain occasions, peanut butter can be very tasty. Also, peanut hit the spot just right.
5) Peppermint candy canes. I am the type of person who gets excited for the peppermint ice cream to come out around Christmas time. There's something magical about the peppermint flavor to me. It leaves your mouth feeling cool and refreshed.
I think there's a reason why I go to the dentist so often. The first time I met Dr. Cho, she told me that I need to stop eating sugar. If she only knew the love that I have for these five candies, she wouldn't have recommended such a harsh regimen for me. In the meantime, I'm just going to continue brushing my teeth and flossing and waiting for the day when my good friend graduates from dental school. His name is Nate. He'll give me free service, he already agreed to.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Have I ever asked you this question? It really is one of my favorite questions, so I'm glad you answered it even if I didn't ask.
My top 5-
Cadburry mini eggs
Red Vines
Jelly Bellies
CHOCOLATE covered Cinn bears
Good and Plenty
I like a good Nutrageous® every now and then as well.

trentathon said...

I <3 good and plenty! I thought I was the only one...

Lauren said...

trent. this post was really TIGHT... like unto a dish. baaahaahahahaaha! what a clever post title. my top 5: 1) canadian twizzlers (which include twizzelators), 2) canadian slurpees, 3)canadian smarties, 4)canadian caramilk bars, and 5)canadian jujubes.
hahahaha! well, everything great comes from canada!

trentathon said...

I love jujubes. Are the Canadian variety anything like the American ones? Such fond memories are flooding back to me as I think them...

Lauren said...

trent. canadian jujubes are so NOT like american ones. prepare to rekindle those memories come next week. i shall return to boston with jujubes in hand!

UtahValleyFun said...

I'm glad you got this off your chest, I still think it's funny you have a "Top 5 Candy List"!! But that's why I love ya!

yours truly said...

you think the candy corns and the pumpkins taste the same? I had a debate with my friend about that. I claimed they were the same and she said totally not. I'm starting to lean toward a little not.

I love crispy M&Ms, but I heard they stopped making them! so tragic.

Red Vines and cinnamon bears are way up there for me too.