Saturday, December 29, 2007

I like New Hampshire

I have very little going on this Christmas break so I decided to do something worthwhile with my time. Today I volunteered for the Mitt Romney for President campaign. I'm not sold on some of his views, but some things about him intrigue me. I think that he would probably do a good job of fixing up our country as president. I felt like volunteering on the campaign would give me a unique experience, especially at an exciting time as this. The Iowa poll is in 5 days and the New Hampshire is in 10. I was excited to talk politics with people. As I was making phone calls and knocking doors in New Hampshire today, I was impressed with the people I talked to. I know how hard it is for people to talk to strangers. I've already tried talking to people about religion and satellites. Discussing politics was different and I'd like to think it has something to do with the area I was in. A common phrase up there is that Iowa picks corn while New Hampshire picks presidents. New Hampshire has a long history of standing for freedom, dating back to our forefathers.
The people I spoke with seemed to be interested and well-informed with their politics. As an added bonus to Mitt, most of the people I talked to either supported him or were on the borderline.
I was also impressed with New Hampshire country. There is so much land up there. Living in Boston for 8 months has given me a craving for wide open space. In short, I liked it, even if it involved trekking down an icy quarter-mile driveway only to not find anyway home. I could see myself living there someday...

No comments: