Tuesday, December 18, 2007

BBQ sauce and charity

I feel a need to reminisce briefly on food items that I have fallen in love with over the years:
Homemade cinnamon toast - I discovered it in junior high and have since stopped making it, but it's easy to make and GOOD.
Spaghetti - I've always loved spaghetti and I can't get sick of it no matter how often I eat it.
Macaroni and cheese with salsa - My friend Rich Millar showed this combination to me when we sold satellites together in Vancouver. This dish sustained me through the remainder of my college days.
Buttered toast with honey - A high school obsession, I couldn't believe my taste buds when I first found out about this gem of a snack.
A few months ago, an experience eating lunch on the steps with Rachel Martinez helped me discover yet another treasure. Rachel had an extra package of barbeque sauce while I had a tuna fish sandwich. I decided to do a little bit of experimenting by dipping my sandwich in the BBQ sauce. It turned out so good that I poured the remainder in my sandwich. Whereas before I was settling for mayonnaise on my tuna sandwiches, now my eyes were opened and my taste buds jumping for joy.

Allow me to explain why I am contemplating some of my favorite foods. CS Lewis in 'The Four Loves' describes how we have need-pleasures and pleasures of appreciation. For instance, when we are thirsty we experience a need-pleasure when we drink a glass of ice-cold water. But if we unexpectedly experience something wonderful, then it is a pleasure of appreciation. Lewis shares an example of the smell of a row of sweet peas on your morning walk. I think it is the mark of a refined individual to appreciate and value the finer things in life. I know that my example of BBQ tuna is a lot more shallow than the smell of sweet peas, but it at least got me thinking. Interestingly enough, I started thinking more about charity. When one has charity, he can love ANYONE with a perfect love. How is this possible? I believe it is because they have diversified their pleasures of appreciation to the point that they can value others' attributes more than is natural. An example may clarify. I've participated in a lot of running throughout my life. Whether by running myself, or by watching others, I have an interest and appreciation for runners. When I meet someone who is into running, I naturally like this person because there is a natural pleasure of appreciation that I can relate with. My theory is that the more one can appreciate, the more charitable his potential.

No comments: