Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Dec. 25, 2007

Soft light penetrated my sleepy eyelids. I rolled over on my bed and peered at my cell phone: 8:00 AM. I thought back briefly to the night before. I was not excited for Christmas to come. This year had been financially straining on both me and my family in Utah so I wasn't able to fly home. However, everyone else I knew apparently was able to make the trip home so I spent my Christmas eve in solitude. No roommates, no friends, no nothing. As I sat thinking last night I realized that as enjoyable as watching TV is, it can't compare with spending time with close friends and family. I had gone to bed on that note, but as I arose from sleep, I could tell that something was different. Something was in the air. Could it be that it was Christmas? 'Well,' I thought, 'Christmas is just like any other day when it boils down to it.' I was to find out how untrue that thought really was.
After getting out of my warm bed, I noticed a stocking hanging in my room. 'That clearly was not there the day before,' I thought. I started looking around and discovered a box in the corner. Upon opening it, I beheld all sorts of candy: Baby Ruths, Charleston Chews, M&Ms, Jelly Bellys, and Tootsie Rolls. Also included was a movie never before seen by Trent: Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventures. A pack of UNO cards also stared back at my rapturous eyes. At the bottom of this box was a carefully wrapped present. Upon opening it, I beheld a beautiful blue Polo sweater. 'This was too good to be true.' I thought as I made my way out of my room. I glanced briefly at my desk where 6 candy canes were stacked. I couldn't help but think that this was the most bizarre situation! I was completely alone in this town, (probably as alone as I've ever felt post-mission) and I was getting all these good presents. But from whom?
In the kitchen, the bread immediately caught my eye. I couldn't tell if it was zucchini bread, or banana bread or what, but a fresh loaf of something along those lines was sitting on the table inside a ziplock bag. I tasted it and it was even better than I expected. While eating the bread, my eyes were drawn to another surprise on the table. One of my roommates had left a practically full package of OREOs on the table when he left and I never moved them out of the way. I noticed two things out of the ordinary. 1) OREO crumbs surrounded the package and 2) an empty glass was situated next to the OREOs. You may wonder why I noticed such seemingly normal kitchen items. In the most non-arrogant way possible with experience living with and without my roommates two truths are as follows: 1) When I am living by myself, the house is clean. 2) When my roommates are present, the house if often not clean. It was weird for me to see the kitchen a little out of the ordinary like that. I also noticed that a residue of milk coated the bottom of the glass signifying that the user had his drink only hours before.
At this point, memories of childhood flashed through my mind. I thought back to the Christmas Eves where I would stay up to gaze out my window in search for Santa and his reindeer in the skies. Since then, I have been reminded of Santa's existence by movies such as Elf and Santa Claus. I guess my doubting and skeptical nature had always overruled my desire to believe. But as I looked at all the gifts I had received, I realized that I did indeed believe in Santa Claus. There was no other possible explanation for such great presents that satisfied my Christmas wants and needs. I was glad that I went through a humbling experience so that I could come to know the truth. I needed a situation where I couldn't attribute Santa's existence to anyone else in the world, a true sack-cloth and ashes experience. Santa Claus, I salute you this Christmas!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sweet story. My new endeavor in life is to become a BYU... do you think you could help me with that? ;)

trentathon said...

thanks, i borrowed the red/green text idea from you

the skiz said...

you are hilarious trent! you captured my attention the whole time!