Tuesday, August 12, 2008

World record inflation

I've got to give some props to Speedo for designing fancy new swimsuits which dominate old world records. It's amazing to see. I will probably never again in my life witness an Olympics with so many records being set. Unless next olympics they come up with salamander suits. But not all excellence in the olympics is easy to measure across time. Take gymnastics, for instance. How are you supposed to maintain a world record in this event especially when judges change, scores change, and Olympics committees revamp scoring systems every once in a while? Or volleyball. I suppose you could evaluate teams or individuals based on how the competition does against them. In other words, maybe a disparity score might help, which measures the gap between the gold medalist and the rest. If you are reading this, and feeling slightly bored bear in mind that I am alone at home right now, in New Hampshire. There is no one to talk to, so I am kind of using this blog as an outlet for communication. Well, Michael Phelps is pretty sick. I will most likely compete in a triathlon someday. And when that time comes around, I want a Speedo bodyskin to my advantage. They are only $340. I can't believe how good America is at swimming. Wow

6 comments:

michelle said...

I agree that you can't measure excellence across time. So many things have changed throughout the years and technology has dramatically changed to provide new athletes with special training, special clothes, etc. etc. I was in a restaurant a few weeks ago and there was a picture of a man running a marathon years and years ago. I looked at his shoes and they looked like business/dress shoes. How could he possibly run as well as today's athletes without the air-filled, gel-filled Nikes we have now?

Unknown said...

wow. all I can say is... wow.

Anonymous said...

You'd look hot in a speedo ; )

Unknown said...

Apparenly, you can only wear those suits twice and they look kind of uncomforatble, but yes, they are awesome.
I also heard that the pool is a little different and that helps. They ahve the extra lanes on both sides which prevent some kind of splashing or somehting. I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I have no doubt that you will soon make all sorts of friends in New Hampshire. Hopefully you will love it as much as Boston.

Hayley said...

can i buy your body? I mean, bodyskin?

trentathon said...

Michelle - great point, our technology is helping us set unprecedented records. This sets us apart from the animal kingdom. If you look at the Kentucky Derby times, there isn't a substantial improvement in about a hundred years. One note of clarification though. You used the term Nikes and I just wanted to point out that I do not endorse them for long-distance running. I like Sauconys, New Balance, Asics, Adidas, Brooks, and Mizunos.
Renny - Thank you.
Riva - You are always full of such crazy comments that you make me laugh.
Taryn - Yes the pool is also different which helps to the faster times.
Haley - You always put a smile on my face. Thanks for the comment.