Thursday, October 25, 2007

Red is not my favorite color

It's not that I'm opposed to red, I just think it's not the best color out there. Blue is a great color. My eyes are blue. Gray is a cool color. Black. I like white. But red? I don't know. I'll give red some pluses: the Red Sox are red, my Marines water bottle is red. But on the other hand, let me tell you something else associated with red: blushing. I am not talking about the act of applying blush, which females oftentimes do. I am talking about having a red face from embarrassment or shame or agitation or emotional upset. I hate it when I do stupid things and subsequently blush. Doing stupid things is normal and I'm fine with that. But to then have a color on your face that flags you as a moron is quite another thing. The worst is when someone mockingly calls you on it, which furthers the blushing. Blushing is something that I've come to accept as beyond my realm of control. I can't stop it from happening. So instead, I'm going to try and figure out why it happens from an evolutionary perspective. Maybe it made predators think that the idiot caveman was angry and stopped messing with him. I'm pretty sure our faces turn red when we're mad. Maybe it used to be attractive to see those cheeks on fire. I'm going to stop hypothesizing. Green is another cool color. It reminds me of wildlife.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

At first I was going to say, "I have been doing jumping jacks a lot lately... etc etc..." but, I couldn't figure out how you would want to change your jumping jacks. Maybe do them upside down... which you probably never do.
Here is the final answer: A= blog(ging), it will be very consequential, B= consequential.
Oh, and I think I'll title my next blog Trent,Figure This One Out.(Blog of Consequence)

Oh and PS, Turquoise is the best color. The end.

Unknown said...

What about purple? Do you like purple?
I like it when you blush- But I know what you mean. I hate it too and do it waaaayyyyyy too often.

trentathon said...

Turquoise is a magical color. It reminds me of Native American jewelry. Although I like purple, it has turned into a gay color as of late.

yours truly said...

I turn red easily too, due to anything from embarrassment to exercise to not-so-extreme temperatures. hey... is that why you commented on my face looking redder than usual the other day?

the koreans say only crazy people wear purple... I wear it once in awhile...
anyway, I think it's starting to lose it's exclusively gay associations as of late.

turquoise was my favorite color as a kid, but I don't have a favorite color now. just whatever looks good on me and is pleasing to my eye at the moment.

but I do hate turning red, and I hate it when people point it out. I was reading that some people are so sensitive that even the thought of turning red can trigger it. you better train your mind to change it's physiological response.