Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Give it to me straight up

There's something to be said of frank, candid honesty, especially in regards to how one can improve his or her life. We don't take constructive criticism very well as human beings, but there is another way: anonymous suggestions. If people don't tell us some of the things that we can be doing better, how are we to know how we can improve? I'd like to think that by looking at the good examples of others, we can improve ourselves, but that oftentimes isn't enough. A couple examples hopefully will illustrate.
My friend over last summer was interested in a girl, but one thing about this girl bothered him. She had some fuzz going on above the lip. You would think that a guy interested in a girl would be able to overlook such a seemingly trivial characteristic, but he couldn't bring himself to taking the relationship to the next level with this girl. A couple of my friends intervened. They used facebook to send her an anonymous message through "The honesty box" explaining how she should wax her upper lip. The amazing thing is that she shortly thereafter did, my buddy and her hooked up, and they've been dating ever since.
My other friend likes girls to have good breath. This is especially important in the kissing aspect of dating. I mean honestly, who wants to touch lips with someone with rank breath? No one I hope. Well, my friend was interested in this one girl and that was one of the relationship barriers he faced. He told me the situation and we came to the conclusion that at his stage in the relationship, there was no way for him to talk about it with her. You can't go up to a girl that you've only been out with a couple times and tell her about bad breath. That upgrades the status of the relationship to "way too serious" in one conversation. So we decided to send her a text message from my phone about the subject. The text went along these lines: "You don't know me, but I know guys that would be more interested in you if you had better breath." Because of that text, she was in a position of knowing how she can better herself in an increasingly more competitive world. I don't know the rest of the story, but I share this example to illustrate the point of how cool anonymous truth is.
I'm not advocating for fault-finding, but genuine criticism with the intent to improve someone else is healthy to an extent. I'm grateful for my brother who sat me down a month or two after my mission and told me, "Trent, you're weird." Even if you don't pursue their recommended course of action, at least you have another perspective.

No comments: