Thursday, July 10, 2008

Being modest is not always the hottest

Apparently, I am good at a few things in life. The problem is that I don't know how to react when others give me praise. I end up downplaying others' compliments--not the proper way of responding. I'll give you some recent examples.

Example 1
Person A: You are a really fast runner!
Me: I'm not that fast.
Person A (unfazed): How do you get to be so fast?
Me: [Awkward pause] Well, testosterone goes a long ways in the sport of running.
Person A: Really?
Example 2
Person B: You are really good at swing dancing.
Me: There are a lot of dancers better than me.
Person B: No, you're really good, honestly.
Me: Well, I just make up moves out there...

Basically, I think I need to come up with better responses to compliments that are less modest. I thought of the solution while I was on my run this morning. Here are some one-liners that I will now use in response to praise of any kind:
"I know!" [in an enthusiastic and confident tone]
"Aren't I?" [with a genuine expression, pausing until they give an answer]
"I was thinking the same thing." [nodding slightly]
"I'm glad you brought that up. I'll have to concur." [non-sarcastically]

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I suggest you simply say "Thank you" (then grin)? Oh, and if dancing, then whirl the girl around a few times. THAT would be hot : )

michelle said...

Sounds good Trent! With responses like that, no woman will be able to resist! Hot.

Unknown said...

Trent I agree with Riva. Additionally, La dolcezza said you might share your economic stimulus check with me... how do you feel about that?

kia said...

I have a hard time with compliments too, and since I'm SO good at so many things this is a major problem for me. :-)

I definitely have found that the sincere "thank you" response works best.

Unknown said...

I also agree with riva. "Thank you," works wonders. And I think you should share your stimulus check with renny. Me too, since I still don't have mine.

trentathon said...

Riva - apparently you give good advice
Michelle - I'm sorry for not practicing what I preach in Sunday school. I'll definitely work on it. Give me another chance.
Renny - I don't know where La Dolcezza came up with a crazy idea like that. Frankly, I don't like the idea.
Kia - When are we going to play frisbee next?
La Dolcezza - I'm sorry Uncle Sam still hasn't paid up. терпение нужно. I already spent my stimulus check so I can't follow through with sharing it :))

Anonymous said...

I suggest - It is about time you noticed. I was beginning to think you were a little slow.

Some girls really dig arrogance...or confidence...or whatever you want to call it.

trentathon said...

This is a very interesting anonymous comment. It could mean 3 things:
1)I am a girl or a boy and I suggested this topic to you and you should have realized that it was me. Why are you writing about something that's pretty much common knowledge?
2)I am a girl and have hinted at going out with you, but you have not taken the initiative. What is your deal?
3)I am a boy and I like boys.