Sunday, July 20, 2008

Recent happenings

An update on some things that are going on in the life of Trent...
1) I am going to law school in one month. I will be attending Franklin Pierce Law in Concord, NH. That means that I will be leaving Boston very soon! I can't believe how many people take it as a surprise when I tell them this "news". I thought everybody knew.
2) I am really excited for law school. I feel similar to when I first started BYU as a freshman: ambitious, eager, charged, excited, motivated, and happy. These are very different feelings compared with my senior year of BYU...
3) I have not seen the Dark Knight yet, but I want to so bad that it hurts. Tomorrow may be the day. I've only run into two individuals who didn't give it amazing reviews, but these two individuals may not count. First off, they are both girls and let's be honest-some girls can't always fully appreciate the Batman. They're also roommates so maybe they infused each other with falsehoods.
4) I am training for a marathon... in New Hampshire... October 4th. It is USATF certified, meaning that if I run it in 3:10 I qualify for Boston. I'm shooting for a sub-3 hour performance. I just ask myself, 'Is there a better way to complement a rigorous school schedule than with some intense physical exertion?' The answer that keeps echoing in my mind is 'No.'
5) My apartment all of the sudden has a lot of ants, everywhere. For almost one year, we have been ant-free. But now they are here, and I'm just wondering where these little guys come from... I was on the bus the other day and there was an ant crawling on my backpack. I shook my head, realizing where he came from. This morning, I was reading my scriptures with my B-Sox hat on, and I looked up at the rim. Lo and behold there was an ant crawling on the rim. Well, good thing that Windex works wonders on them.
6) The idea of social justice is really starting to fascinate me. I'll write more about this later, but really briefly I believe that we all should have equal opportunities for success in life. The question is implementation. I wonder if people would voluntarily help others if it were not mandated. That would be the best case scenario ideally, but we all know that we don't live in an ideal world.
7) East of Eden is a very fascinating book. I read it almost daily and am now a third of the way done. If you haven't gotten over the bad high school memories of reading Grapes of Wrath, you probably wouldn't believe me when I say that Steinbeck is a great author. Well, trust me. Or better yet, go out and see for yourself. He really has a knack with using the English language to convey his message.
8) I want to start a new website that may potentially be a big deal. I don't want to publicly expose this idea though, as I may get scooped. If you're interested in hearing about it, write me an email and if I deem you trustworthy, I will fill you in.
9) Cooking = good times. I have really gotten into the dessert making thing lately. Yesterday it was caramel popcorn and I'm coming to the point where I don't need a candy thermometer. Watch out.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

You need to watch Batman. It is about social justice. You'll love it. I will warn you, its very graphic, Rachel's character is weak and the Joker is flippin' awesome.
No candy thermometer huh? Good, those are weak sauce ;)

michelle said...

First of all, I would like to object to your slightly sexist comment that girls just can't understand Batman. Second of all, maybe these girls you mention are the only ones who weren't swept up in the Batman magic and saw it for what it really was instead of what everyone decided it was going to be before even seeing it. I personally know of another person I spoke with today who said it perfectly, "It was good but it was too long and had so many plot twists that none of the plots were ever fully developed." Rachel's character was weak. Besides Heath Ledger's phenomenal acting, The Dark Knight just doesn't quite live up to Batman Begins.
So what's this? You're going to Law School this Fall? And in New Hampshire?

Chelsea said...

1- Feel free to make me desserts anytime. I like them a lot.
2- you are a communist at heart trent.
3- Those girls were weird, cause 2 1/2 hours of Christian Bale is worth any amount of "whatever" that they didn't like about it. They must be lesbians. the end on that.
4- Sad you are leaving. I will miss you. But I am not surprised at that news. duh you are leaving for law school. who are these wierdo's who didn't know that? maybe they are just in denial.
5- You are like the dad on "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" with your windex story!
6- I like numbered lists

trentathon said...

Ren- So after watching Batman last night, and learning about social justice, I realized how much I have to understand about this concept.
Michelle - You are funny. I agree that Rachel's character was weak.
Chels- ahahaha. You don't know who you just called lesbians! Although, I bet you were more interested in Heath Ledger. His gnarly, purple hair, the lipstick, the razor blade scars, ... hot. Never seen "My Big Fat Greek Wedding." Maybe I should see more movies... You are too funny copying my ordered list syntax :)

Unknown said...

1) Wait, you're going to law school?! When did that happen???

2)You had the worst senioritis. hehehe.

3)Maybe let's chat about this movie sometime. My main issue with it may be how sore I was after watching it. It was soooo long and intense enough that all my muscles were sore.

4) You're USATF certified.

Unknown said...

I didn't get to finish my comments before I had to leave work.

5) I got ants too! It's the worst. Especially at night when you are just paranoid they will crawl on you. Get rid of them!

6)You should do some experimenting with social justice I think.

7)You have read Animal Farm right? Russian communist fun.

8)Does that mean I'm trustworthy!? Hooray! Can I help??

9) I have some awesome book recommends for this. Or just recipes. MMMMMMMMMM treats.

trentathon said...

Tarn, those were really good comments. Tip for your ant problem: don't leave banana peels in your trash for very long. It turns out that ants like bananas a lot.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Trent--I thought I'd answer your comment on your blog, in case you didn't check mine. I really, really liked The Audacity of Hope; in fact, I was so moved at the end that I almost cried. Obama writes powerfully and compellingly about his views, and while I don't agree with everything he writes about (abortion being the biggest point of contention) I think most of his ideas are based on compassion and equality for all, not just the privileged few.

I especially like that he seems to make a valiant effort (at least in his book) to really take a good look at both sides of the issues he addresses. I admire his ability to see the good points in opposing arguments, and I completely agree with his stance that most questions do not have easy right/wrong answers.

Phew. In short, he has a lot of great ideas. And he's a great writer. I'm not sure whether all the ideas he has would work, and I'm not entirely convinced that his methods of paying for them are wholly sound, but the truth is, I don't know enough about the economics of his suggestions to really say.

Okay. That's enough. Talk to me in person if you want any more expounding. :)

Also, Point #6 on your post here--very interesting. I think I need to do some research on that subject myself.

Brittany said...

This is one of those "I don't know you and you don't know me" blog comments. I apologize because I know how annoying, and perhaps somewhat creepy, they might be. If you're curious, I'm Amy's sister and I was browsing her blog links and came across your's because I really don't have anything better to do right now. Anyway, I just thought you might like to know that someone in the world likes your blog, the topics you blog about, etc. I especially like your blog concept: not to show off your "exciting and blogworthy" life, but to practice your writing and thought organization skills.

Anonymous said...

Trent Ostler,
I just want you to know that I think you're a total hottie. (Is that how you spell that?)

trentathon said...

Lizardbreath, I like Barack Obama. I find myself defending him a lot. I think that book is next on my list...
Brittany, you're comment was well-received. Trust me, I have been known to also leave comments on blogs of those whom I know not. My only hang-up is that I can't return the favor on your blog as it either does not exist, or is unknown to me.
Anonymous, I am so glad that you let me know that you have such feelings. (emphasis added) As far as the spelling goes, haven't you ever heard of wiktionary?