Thursday, July 17, 2008

A breakfast you must try before you die

I started this morning off on a really good note because I ate something I haven't eaten in a long time: buckwheat, also known as grechka. More than likely, you have never tried this classic Russian dish. If you like good food, you will most probably enjoy grechka. Let me tell you the secret to making it taste delicious.
Buckwheat is a grain that has an appearance similar to rice. If you are unable to find it at your local grocery store, go to a more natural/healthy store like Whole Foods. You also need some peach juice. I'm not talking about the juice that accompanies canned peaches, rather actual peach juice. Going to your local Russian store is a surefire way of finding everything I'm talking about. You'll also need a banana, milk, and sweetened condensed milk.

Cook the buckwheat just as you would rice--on the stove and uncovered. However much buckwheat you want to cook, add double the water. I made half a cup of buckwheat and it was plenty for me. Once all the water has boiled out, the smell will have filled up your kitchen with grechka goodness. Now you are ready to add the other materials. Get your banana and smash it to a pulp in a separate dish. Then add it, along with some milk, peach juice, and a dash of condensed milk to the mix. Delicious!

Now I'd like to talk about the health benefits of buckwheat. The nice thing about eating buckwheat is that you don't feel hungry shortly after breakfast. This is because the glycemic index is a whopping 65. Just to give you perspective, dry pasta is only 49. It has so much fiber which provides a cleansing feeling throughout the day. This isn't a sluggish feeling, rather a feeling of refinement. After eating a serving, my intestinal tract feels like a well-oiled machine. The iron makes you more alert during the day. It is low in saturated fat, sodium, and cholesterol. In fact, a protein in buckwheat has been shown to bind to cholesterol very tightly, not letting it go and congest your body. 2. Feel grateful that you have little friends that go around your body binding the bad guys. Buckwheat contains rutin, a medicinal chemical that strengthens capillary walls, reducing hemorrhaging in people with high blood pressure and increasing circulation. 1 Also, it contains D-chiro-inositol, a component related to Type II diabetes. Research to treat diabetes with buckwheat looks promising. Also, prepared my way, you get your Vitamin C, Potassium and healthy sugars.

My advice to all you blog readers: Get out of your mundane breakfast regimens and try grechka. Your body will thank you.

Sources

1. N. Ihme1, H. Kiesewetter, F. Jung, K. H. Hoffmann, A. Birk, A. Müller and K. I. Grützner (2003). "Leg oedema protection from a buckwheat herb tea in patients with chronic venous insufficiency: a single-centre, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial". European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 51: 7287–7291.
2. H. Tomotake, I. Shimaoka, J. Kayashita, F. Yokoyama, M. Nakajoh and N. Kato. (2001). "Stronger suppression of plasma cholesterol and enhancement of the fecal excretion of steroids by a buckwheat protein product than by a soy protein isolate in rats fed on a cholesterol-free diet.". Bioscience Biotechnology and Biochemistry 65: 1412–1414. doi:10.1271/bbb.65.1412

7 comments:

Heidi said...

I think my favorite part of this post was: "After eating a serving, my intestinal tract feels like a well-oiled machine."

Well I'm sold. I love trying new things!

Unknown said...

I LOVE grechka. I may even love pear sok more than grechka.

"Going to your local Russian store..."

hhhmmm. Is this a common thing? Local Russian stores? How did I miss this. I don't have a local Russian store. :(

Anonymous said...

You're awesome, seriously.
Love this scientific approach to making and eating breakfast interspersed with pure personality... "get out of your mundane breakfast regimens and try gretchka". Lol.

Unknown said...

The last time I went to my local Russian store they had a huge sale on pear juice. I bought it on an impulse and then later wondered, "What am I going to do with all of this pear juice?" Now I know. Thank you.

Unknown said...

PS, your sources aren't in Turabian... I may have to dock you points for that.

michelle said...

Holy Moly that's a lot of fiber!

trentathon said...

Pinto - Let me know if you have any questions.
La - I love pear juice too, unfortunately, I meant peach juice. (Changes have been made) Now see if you can't find that kind of juice at your local grocery store.
Dancing Chef - I knew you would like this post.
Renny - You may have to go to your local Russian store again to stock up on peach juice. (See above analysis)
Michelle - I know.