Monday, June 02, 2008

Something smells really good right now

When our plane touched down at the Denver airport early Sunday morning, I felt sleepy. As I stepped outside the airport, however, I was greeted by a very familiar and pleasant aroma-the Russian Olive tree aka Elaeagnus angustifolia. This smell, which continues to make my nose happy, has helped me fall in love with Denver. (The more I travel, the more places I love.) Here is a picture of the tree of interest in case you don't recognize it by the name.

The little yellow flowers emanate a most heavenly smell in late spring and early summer.

Maybe this tree isn't very popular on the east coast, but I definitely remember its smell from my Utah days. As I've ranted and raved about this fragrance (yes, to me it is more like a fragrance than a smell), I got blank stares and awkward silences. This lack of positive reinforcement has forced me to conclude that some people can't distinguish the Russian Olive scent. Even though I don't know why this is the case, I'd still like to propose a mechanism, but I've got nothing.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

You're in Denver? Why? You know what I think it is with scents is when you go to the actual place of origin you get a much better understanding of what the fragrance is supposed to smell like, and that stays with you wherever you go.

Unknown said...

Yeah, Denver? Why are you in Denver?
I like those Russian Olive trees, even though I don't remember ever seeing one IN Russia.

Anonymous said...

"Walking down the street the flowers hit me, with that heady, overwhelming, amazing perfume. It was night, so I couldn't see the cone shaped clusters of little lavender blossoms but oh, I knew they were there. I walked up to the bushes, caught the branches in my head, and brought it up to my face. I breathed deeply, and for a moment, I lost myself, self oblivated by the scent of all that nameless purple something.

I let go after a moment, backed away, but then...
I put my hand behind one of the large flowers that was starting to lose petals, and stole that flower. It sits now in the pages of Business Statistics, and has lent its wonderful otherworldly smell to my room. "

Written about a week ago....
So I feel you and your transcendence by flowers.

trentathon said...

Renny and Taryn, I am in Denver for the week attending a conference for work. It's called ASMS and it stands for the American Society of Mass Spectrometry.
I don't remember those trees in Russia either.
Riva, thanks for stealing my thunder with a superior expression of nature's beauty ;)

Rich said...

Trentushka,
No way, I just barely (maybe one week ago) figured out that this was the tree that I loved more than anything here in Utah Valley in Spring!!!! No joke, I have been searching for which tree put off this scent for at least 4 years! I totally relate to what you're saying, it is such a nostalgic scent for me. It reminds me of growing up in the valley. Anyway, spot on, spot on!

Rich said...

Oh, I also wanted to say that I would pay good money for a scented candle of this "fkus"!