Monday, June 16, 2008

My little experiment

You hear stories all the time about the guy who chases the girl, and finally because of his resilience he finally gets her and they live happily ever after. It happens in movies, on TV shows, in our extended families, and these stories are also told by our church leaders sometimes. Well, a few years ago I was convinced that the chase philosophy was flawed. Girls, I reasoned, need to put forth every bit of effort as boys. The boy shouldn't be forced to give up his power by displaying more interest. Besides, girls don't want a guy who is going to pamper them and be nice to them. They want someone who isn't going to put up with their crap, someone who is going to be real with them. Years went by, and then a situation crossed my path where I had the choice to chase or abandon. I remember reading a friend's blog that had a profound effect on me:

Make her a flower in late December
When the sun is not shining on her.
Write her a love song and play it all day long
To remind her of all that she is worth,
Never never leave her.
Take her on long drives for ice-cream by sea sides
And give her your coat when she is cold.
Tell her you miss her when you're close enough to kiss her
And that you'd walk a thousand miles to tell her so.
But, never never leave her.
Take photographs of her on Brooklyn street in October
When her nervous smile is slightly curved.
Some days when she is slightly down tell her its okay to frown
It makes you just fall more in love with her.
But, never never leave her.

I know, it's a little cheesy. But it really did get my thinking! I thought, 'You know Trent, maybe there's something to be said about chasing a girl.' I hadn't done it in a long time. Instead I had been cool, macho, and hip. So being scientifically minded, I decided to put this new philosophy to the test. Now here is my conclusion: the chase is not for me. Some guys can pull it off, but I guess it's just not my style. Or maybe you've got to chase like you're not chasing. Anyway, I'm through thinking, talking, discussing, philosophizing about this topic because I'm sick of it. And if anyone wants to leave a comment, please do, but I will probably not reply. Unless it's really funny.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

“Men and women chasing each other is what makes the human race”
--Mark Beltaire

Here's a link to a series of Catholic women debating the pursue or be pursued question... how can you possibly be tired of such an entertaining topic?

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/apologia/vpost?id=916754

Heidi said...

yesterday I was taking a nap on the grass and a little boy snuck up reeeeeally close to my face and said,

"GUESS what I SAW at the zoo"

I sputtered awake and, in shock, blinked a couple times and asked, "Oh, um...what?"

and he leaned in really gravely till his nose was almost touching mine...

...and he hoarsely whispered into my wide, frightened eyes...

"a dead bunny...::long pause for effect::...and a GREEN snake, believe it or NOT."

Then he walked away.

This is a true story.

trentathon said...

Heidi that is exactly the kind of comment that I was hoping for!

Unknown said...

You are one of my favorite people to philosophize dating strategies with Trent. I'm done too though. It never helps. I figure I will just have fun and take each situations as it comes.
Good work on trying though, I think you get points for trying, you know?

Carolina said...

you are so cute trenton.