Saturday, January 05, 2008

There's something to be said of constancy

After watching the debates, I was particularly impressed with John Edwards passion about fighting for the middle class. His belief, he said, was personal and needed to be personal to be effective on the battlefield of politics. The Republicans were posed a question by President Bush along these same lines. What kind of beliefs did they have that would guide them in a world of change? That started me thinking about how there are some personal beliefs that we should hold true to, no matter what the consequences. I know that we need to change to best accommodate our changing environment. At the same time, we are trying to find out who we are and I've heard studies that it takes us until about the age of 30 until our personalities are finally locked in. Up until then, we are trying new things out. But besides the little personality differences, I'm interested in beliefs that we don't budge on. One that comes to mind for me is treating others with the respect I'd wish for others to treat me with. I believe it is the sign of someone of great moral character who sticks with his values even when it is hard to do. It also draws him or her nearer to God. God doesn't love us only when He is having a good day, or when He feels like it. "For do we not read that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever, and in him there is no variableness neither shadow of changing?" (Quoted from the Book of Mormon 9:9) Well did David O. McKay say, "Character is built by adherence to principles." I didn't know this topic was going to turn so religious!

2 comments:

aneiss said...

Trent, from my experiences knowing you I can see how important respect is in your relationships. I admire that. Thinking about the rest of your post, what would you change about your beliefs to adapt?

trentathon said...

Good question. If I knew the answer to that, I would understand myself and the world to such a degree that I could make millions selling ebooks online.