Friday, May 23, 2008

A walk down memory lane

Utah was fantastic. I'll mention one thing about the trip. Unexpectedly I found a boatload of personal memorabilia. At my grandparents, I found a baby book detailing bizarre tidbits of information ranging from when I first smiled, to when I first ate solid food. I found an autobiography I wrote in the sixth grade. Then there was the goldmine of mission stuff, that made me really miss the mother land! Here's the point that I want to deliver: After thinking back to who I used to be, I started thinking about who I am now. Then came the inevitable question of if I had lived up to expectations I had back then. My conclusion was that I have not measured up. This conclusion made me a little bit sad, I'll have to admit. But it was the feeling of sadness that motivates you to be a better person. I'm not one to harbor regrets, but one regret I have that I hope to learn from or that I could convey to others is this: do not be deceived. You're probably thinking, 'Well Trent, hindsight is always 20/20. How are you supposed to know when you are being deceived?' That is a good question. We don't always know what truth is and indeed that is why we are living life-to gain experience based on the limited amount of truth we have. But God knows all, and He has given us a way to tap into His truth. I wish I would have tapped more into God's inspiration. You can't always rely on it, and it's definitely not always easy, convenient, or logical. But it's better than relying on yourself and/or others. Let me conclude by saying that it's definitely not the end of my life. Watch out folks, cuz I'm going to carpe diem until I die.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Trent, I hope you carpe diem after you die too. I hope you were considering your realistic expectations as well, its really hard to ever live up to the unrealistic ones. But I have to say that you and I really are on the same page with a lot of things. So lets be friends.

Anonymous said...

For the record my friend, who you are now is a pretty wonderful thing. I'm all for your leaps and bounds growth from here to eternity, but hope you realize how much living by the truth you have lived by has made you such a good man already.

trentathon said...

Ren, unrealistic expecations are no beuno. I agree. I thought we were already friends.
Riva, thanks for your encouragement. Maybe I sounded a little too self-critical. Oops. Things are good, I just sometimes wish I could replay certain sections of my life. Weird huh.