Thursday, May 15, 2008

Thoughts

I want to make up for my dearth of blogging. I told a friend not too long ago that I have a lot of interesting blog topics to write about, I just don't blog. But before I blog about interesting topics, allow me to catch you up on my life and some of my thoughts.

I am flying to Utah for the weekend and I find myself unusually excited to go back home. One reason may be that my brother Graden is getting married and I will see the majority of my relatives and friends. Another reason may be that my expectation level is different for this trip. You see, for the past year, I have thought about either fanning flames of old embers, or finding new fire in Utah. Friends and relatives love participating in the fun by playing matchmaker. While I will definitely enjoy hanging out with friends, I will not be looking for that special someone. That adds a lot of happiness to my soul. It's kind of like the feeling of leaving Vancouver, Wa in the summer of 2004 and realizing that I wouldn't need to knock doors the next day. Right now I am just thinking about all the fun things there are to do in Utah valley. I think I'm going to go for a long run up the canyon. I might also go to the gym with my good friend. Perhaps I'll go swing dancing. I could even sleep under the stars with my brother Weston. This trip is going to be so fun.

I thought Lamar Odom had an awesome game last night. In fact, he has had an awesome series in general against the Jazz. If the Lakers win the series, (which I'm still hoping will not be the case) I will crown him MVP of the series. On the flip side, D-Will is my man! If only he had a little bit more help...

The other day, I read an article in Newsweek (America's Next Top Mormon) about how a lot of Mormons are hitting it big on reality TV shows. One reason that it I thought was particularly interesting: "there's also a longing to show America that Mormons aren't the insular community they're often perceived to be." There are so many people that think Mormons are WEIRD. The more that this perception is changed the better, in my opinion. I think there is a fine line between fitting into the mainstream and standing out. But if I were to choose one extreme, I would probably choose trying to get into the mainstream. I think Jesus was a good example. He never tried to isolate himself from others, rather he was always putting himself in situations to reach people. While never compromising his standards, he mingled with sinners, heathen, and unclean folk on a regular basis. That's one reason why I love living outside of Utah: there is more of an opportunity to interact with people that are different from me. Now I think I can run for office.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

"I think Jesus was a good example." I don't know why, that made me laugh. Usually people consider Him the perfect example... ;P

Unknown said...

I have more comments on this, but comments that may not necessarily be for the internets. Maybe I just have agreements and supporting examples.

I am going to go find that Newsweek article now.

Have fun in the UT!

Rich said...

Okay, if you were running for office this is the line that the media would crucify you with, "While never compromising his standards, he mingled with sinners, heathen, and unclean folk on a regular basis. That's one reason why I love living outside of Utah is that there is more of an opportunity to do this."

Hahahahaha

Rich said...

Okay, if you were running for office this is the line that the media would crucify you with, "While never compromising his standards, he mingled with sinners, heathen, and unclean folk on a regular basis. That's one reason why I love living outside of Utah is that there is more of an opportunity to do this."

Hahahahaha

trentathon said...

Lil renny- i love making you laugh.
La Dolcezza - what does la dolcezza mean?
Rich - Thanks for calling me on that. That came out really wrong, and I blame it on being sleepy. Maybe I'll edit it.

Unknown said...

It's Italian! Maybe?
You know, I;m not even sure how to pronounce it. It's a good thing I mostly only type it. Hmmm...

Unknown said...

I always thought la dolcezza meant something along the lines of, "the sweet one." Trent, please run for office. That would be great.

trentathon said...

La Dolcezza, you are now the sweetest thing.
Lindsey, I don't know if I'm honest enough to run for office. Maybe after going to law school, I'll be good enough...