Saturday, November 17, 2007

Perfection, a daunting task

Perfection is something that sometimes seems unattainable to me in any area of my life. What would it mean to be perfect at my job? It would probably involve me performing to the best of my ability every minute I'm working. Another example is living my life according to my beliefs. I think about this more often. Try as I may, by myself I can't seem to live with my body perfectly aligning itself with my ideals. One reason why I feel like perfection is hard for me is because I tend to not focus on one particular aspect of life, rather I like doing a lot of different things. This also crosses over into interpersonal relationships. I don't tend to become friends with people on a really deep level, rather I tend to do the superficial friends thing. I also tend to not get into serious relationships that often. But I wasn't thinking of relationships when I first thought of this topic, rather of interests. I have tried a lot of different things, and I am quite good at the game "Have you ever." My major at BYU bioinformatics was exactly suited for me in that it covered a broad area of topics, but not going too deep into each individual one. I think that my approach to life is both good and bad. Good because I can relate to a lot of different people and their interests. Bad because I'm not that much of an expert in any one field. To be perfect in any area of life involves intense training and practice. I look at any professional, whether they be athletes, musicians, construction workers, comedians, or even chefs. While some professionals might downplay how much they trained to get to their current level, citing natural ability as their biggest ally, I know that they must practice A LOT to achieve. I have been forced to focus my efforts into one interest for the past few months: LSAT. Today I achieved perfection in a very small element of this endeavor. The final section of my practice LSAT this morning was the analytical reasoning, or games section. I rocked this section with a perfect 22/22 score, boosting my self-confidence which was under distress at the moment. Now if I can only master the logical reasoning section...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have had these EXACT same thoughts. Well, not the LSAT part, but the other stuff. When I am not feeling so great about htings I call myself "mediocre," when I am feeling a little more positve, that turns into "well-rounded."