Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Is optimism-bias a good or bad thing?

I've been thinking a lot about risk-taking lately. For better or worse, I have always been someone who takes risks at a higher-than-is-normal rate. In my Contracts class last fall, I learned about the concept optimism-bias. This concept is interesting. Often times humans are overly optimistic in themselves to their detriment. The example we studied was signing away your rights to engage in a risky activity believing you are the exception and that no harm will come to you. For instance, a river rafting trip has a lot of risks. There might be a pretty compelling reason to forgo the trip, however, lots of people take the risk anyway. I looked up some other examples of optimism bias on wikipedia: Students overestimate their own test scores. Grad students overestimate the number of job offers and salary they eventually will get. Almost all newlyweds think their marriages will last for life, well aware of high divorce statistics. Those who smoke believe they are less at risk to suffer from smoking-related disease than others who smoke.

I think that it is fantastic that we have optimism-bias hard-wired into us. Sometimes I have been burned by my optimism-bias. I have plenty of scars, have gone into debt, and even worked for free as a direct result of risks. But I have also been rewarded. One obvious example is the huge amount of time I invested into learning HTML and PHP. I think I will capitalize on these skills for the rest of my life.

Living in America allows this optimism to shine. You listen to someone's rags to riches story and even though you may not have any similar skills or talents as this person, the story inspires you. You believe in yourself, and believe that you can achieve similar success. And then you strive for something that pushes you further than you would have gone had that distant target never been there. Without an impetus to propel me further, I would sit still and stagnate.

The key to risk-taking is for a healthy balance between the two extremes. In business, too much risk leads to epic financial crises. Not enough risk leads to stagnation. But risks are absolutely a good thing (in moderation of course [but not too much moderation {it needs to be a wise amount and level of riskiness}]).

Optimism-bias may be one magical factor that sets us apart as uniquely human. If we were completely logical, and we made decisions based on mathematical probabilities, we would be robots; robots that probably wouldn't achieve as much as we humans have and will achieve.

5 comments:

Savanna said...

Hi!!! Your post triggered a sequence of thoughts. My brain needed to come back home, so thanks.

I think a lot about decision making. There's this theory in economics and political science called rational choice that attempts to explain behavior. The idea is that people will rank options and choose the one that maximizes their benefit. Peoples' ability to choose the best option is limited by their imperfect information, as well as inaccurate prediction of outcomes. (I like to think that I make up for the difference in having imperfect information when deciding what to do and believe by having access to a higher source of information.) I guess the risk lives where our ability to predict outcomes and rank preferences cannot reach.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rational_choice_theory

Back to you: maybe optimism-bias is justified for a person who knows they are willing to put in the work required to overcome averages. (That doesn't hold true when success is more determined by probability than by persistence, such as accidents.) Also in dangerous behaviors, the exception is often the one who is hurt, not the one who is safe.

Taking risks is essential to learning. Think about children: they learn far faster than adults do. I think that is a LOT about being willing to risk. They haven't been exposed as much to concepts they get from the world such as difficult and impossible, nor do they feel the effects of embarrassment as much (this is huge for learning languages). In this sense, I think that maintaining optimism-bias can keep us intellectually viable because taking risks remains enjoyable.

I'm reading my Teach for America text about high expectations for myself and for my students. My new job is all about optimism in the sense that I need to relearn to disbelieve in impossible. I need us to know that success is directly related to hard work and that the obstacles of poverty we'll face together are only obstacles.

Oh. And I am FAR more willing to take social and opportunity (job, location) risks than I am to take financial and physical risks.

By the way--another uniquely human magic factor is that we use language spontaneously and not only in response to stimuli. Even apparently spontaneous language from the more intelligent animals is trained, in response to something else.

So...optimism-bias? Good thing. :)

trentathon said...

Sav, those were some great thoughts. I just talked to Spencer about rational choice theory. He believes in a bounded model of rational choice, very similar to how you explained it. I am so stoked that you are gearing up for your Teach for America program. My sister has been reading a biography about the woman who started that. Such a great success story.

Rich said...

True dat

QST said...

Um... conservative? And you drive a hybrid? Ha ha! Good one.

Anonymous said...

I will not approve on it. I think nice post. Especially the title attracted me to review the unscathed story.