Saturday, May 23, 2009

Conpiracy theories debunked

Have you ever heard a theory that sounds ridiculous at first? It doesn't make sense and requires lots of explanation for it to come together. Call me skeptical, but my experience has been that the vast majority of these "conspiracy theories" are bologna. Nine times out of ten, the simplest explanation is the correct explanation.

A few years ago, I watched a movie with my cousins about how 9/11 "really happened." It explained that the government had really ordered the attack to give it motivation to go after other countries. The hour-long film was pretty convincing and did a wonderful job of arousing an emotional response. I was confused. Then Google came to my rescue. After searching for a response to the 9/11 conspiracy theory, I found a very succinct and comprehensive rebuttal to all the arguments presented in the conspiracy theory. This experience opened my eyes to how I approach digesting theories that don't jive well with me.

A lot of the reason that people latch onto beliefs that seem kind of weird is because of an emotional response triggered and a failure to research the other side of the issue. Here is a list of other conspiracy theories that I hear people believing in.
  • There is a cure for cancer that is being suppressed by the medical community because they are making so much money off of cancer.
  • The US never landed on the moon.
  • Big oil businesses are suppressing technology that fuels cars with just water.
  • The government has secret UFO and alien materials, but won't release it to the public.
  • Global warming is not happening. The only reason for society's focus on global warming is because the media is liberal. Because the media popularizes global warming, representatives make it a big deal to get elected.
  • Elvis is still alive.
  • The US only invades Iraq for their oil.
Remember, you can find answers to any question using Google. It's amazing.

4 comments:

Kristen and Erik Cambridge said...

Elvis is alive. Really. I saw him the other day at The Gateway. Haha

michelle said...

How do you know there isn't a UFO being hidden in Nevada somewhere? I believe it...I definitely believe it.

Rich said...

I agree with your theory but I disagree with one of your examples...I think you know which one

graden and haley said...

Trent you cannot put the notion that global warnming is not happening with the conspiracy theory of the US never landing on the moon!