Saturday, April 19, 2008

Random tidbit of information #1: How Spiders Create Spiderwebs


I love sharing interesting tidbits of information. This post begins the first of a series entitled "Random tidbits of information."

Have you ever wondered how spiderwebs are created? I'm not talking about the synthesis of silk. I'm talking about how the spider spins a web from point A to point B, even if these two points are far apart. This concept has boggled my mind at times, actually. I mean do spiders just fly from one bush to another like Spider man? Well I took the question to Wikipedia, and I was not let down.

According to wikipedia, the first thread is the most difficult part of construction for the spider. "The spider effectively utilizes the wind to carry its initial adhesive thread. With some luck the silk is released from its spinners and carried by the wind to a suitable adherable surface. When it sticks to a surface the spider will carefully walk over the thread and strengthen it with a second thread. This process is repeated until the primary thread is strong enough to support the rest of the netting."
Contemplate that the next time you see/walk into/push someone else into a spiderweb.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Stop pushing people into spiderwebs Trent!

Just in case you are curious, here is a link to an article about Encyclopedia Britanica articles that have been corrected in Wikipedia.

http://tinyurl.com/93aa2

the skiz said...

Have you NEVER seen Charlotte's Web? Just goes to show, kids movies CAN be educational... :)

Thanks for the tidbit!

Unknown said...

Haha, I was going to mention Charlotte's Web as well, but it looks like someone beat me to it. And I agree, stop pushing people into spiderwebs, it really isn't very nice.

Unknown said...

Oh, and I forgot, this post made me think of the song "Career Day" by The Format.

trentathon said...

Taryn, I don't push people, I'm nice ;)
Shauna, I wish I would have seen that movie more. I thought it was sad.
Lil Renny, I think you spin a story like a spider spins a web.

Bags said...

If I were a spider, I would make a spider tent, not a spider web.

The spider tent is much more practical and efficient. I could even set up an entire suburb of spider tents and patrol them in sequence, thereby expanding my circle of reach rather than limiting myself to one measly web... but that's why I'm a human, and not a spider. I'm smarter than that.

Bags said...

P.S. Lil Renny, I love that song. "As for you, you spin a story like a spider spins a web..."

Unknown said...

Bags,its a great song, and I pretty much love your spider tent idea. Lets be friends.

trentathon said...

Lindsey, my blog has been a great friend-finding resource for you I think.