Thursday, May 03, 2007

Moving to Boston

I accepted a job offer far away from home in a magical land called Boston, Massachusetts. My job title will be a research assistant in a lab at Harvard Medical School. I am so stoked. It is well known that much about getting a job is in connections you make. This job was no different. Richard Carey, the current lab assistant whom I will be replacing, was my connection. He graduated from BYU in Bioinformatics a year ago. Undoubtedly, he did a great job as he was able to recommend me to Dr. Gygi. Steve Gygi, the professor in whose lab I will be working, is in the Department of Cell Biology. He gave me the unofficial job offer a week or two ago and I was excited to accept. I will most probably be working with a team of bioinformatists in his lab writing programs and analyzing his database. The kind of work is right up my alley and I feel I will do a stellar job. I want to work in this capacity for a year and then go to law school. It's gonna be sweet applying a lot of the things I learned at school to real-life problems. What also makes me excited about this transition in my life is that I will be living in Boston, one of the coolest cities. This city is home of the Red Sox, tons of historical sites, and Harvard. There's gonna be so much to see and do! I plan on making the trip over there by car as this is the cheapest mode of me getting over there with all my stuff. Because I am expected to be there on the 14th of May, I will probably be leaving Provo next Thursday. If anyone wants to accompany me on my trek across the United States feel free to let me know. It will take at least 40 hours of driving, but on the bright side, we will check out scenery from all across the United States.

No comments: