Tuesday, April 05, 2011

If you saw money on the road, would you pick it up?

One of my young men told me on Saturday how he found a twenty dollar bill on the street. How nice, I told him. Little did he know that I love finding money. I consider myself quite good at spotting money and picking it up in all shapes and varieties.

You know the economics concept of opportunity costs? It goes something like this: the amount of time that you spend bending down to grab a coin on the street may not be worth your time, depending on how much you could otherwise earn. This is technically true with me. I have opportunities to make money making it possibly not worth my while, were I just to spend that time on working. But notwithstanding this knowledge, I'll still bend down and pick up a penny if I see one.

Why? I need to make known to myself and the universe that I am always on the lookout for ways to make money. Plus the times that I find such money is relatively rare so I can make up for the time in non-working times, like sleep. Plus, I'm not as rational as economic theory tends to assumes someone like me to be.

What is the lowest coin you would "stoop" to pick up?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"Find a penny, pick it up! All the day you'll have good luck!"

Martha said...

I pick up pennies too! On my mission my companion and I would pick up all the change we found and would treat ourselves to a fun treat once a tansfer due to the change we found.