Wednesday, September 03, 2008

A critique of the RNC

I am pretty confident that the strongest argument against Barack Obama is that he hasn't done anything. It's a strong argument because it's hard to defend. All of the important, but seemingly small things he brings up in defense of this argument is easily discredited as unsubstantial. And if he tries too hard to talk up his credentials, he appears boastful and arrogant. If you do something really huge, though, like serve in the army then someone is treated automatically as though he has performed heroic acts. Mrs. Palin - I love you to death for being from Alaska, but you need to remember that we all have different roles to perform as Americans. It's not guaranteed just because you serve in the military that you are doing more for your country than someone doing other things. Where does this stem from that being in the military is the best thing you can do with your time? I guess that's what I'm so worried about with the Republican National Convention is the overemphasis on military. Yes I am very glad that people serve our country, sacrifice for our country, and even die for our country. But let us remember that military dominion is not the penultimate. The pen is always mightier than the sword.

5 comments:

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Hear, hear!

Unknown said...

I couldn't get through Giuliani's speech, so I basically missed everything else.

michelle said...

I just read an article in Time about McCain and I actually wouldn't totally be opposed to him as president (don't tell anyone) except for the fact that he is so pro war! That makes me soooo nervous and I truly believe war should be avoided at all costs. As for the Grand Ol' Party, I felt like I was listening to a testimony meeting at some points and an anti-liberal-divisive meeting at others. I have so much more I could say about war and the GOP but this could turn into a novel and if I'm going to write a novel I want to get paid for it. :)

Amy Lovell said...

Maybe you should just run for president...let's spice this campaign up even more?!?! :)

Savanna said...

next blog about Obama pleasepleaseplease!