Saturday, December 09, 2006

New website

The History of http://what2doatbyu.com

Last summer I started dabbling with web development. The concept of creating web pages fascinated me and I was hooked. I am studying Bioinformatics right now at BYU and so I have a decent amount of experience with computer programming. However, as I took these classes, they always bored me and I didn't find joy in what I was doing. But when I started coding on the web, my desire to learn and apply my programming concepts was definitely there! My friend, Rich Millar, was living with me at the time. Even though he didn't have a clue about web programming, he had an idea during this summer about making a website. I mean nothing against Rich, whom I love deeply (in a non-romantic way of course). He has come a long ways since those humble beginnings and nowadays, he helps me with some of the internet programming.

This website would focus on activities and things to do in Provo, Utah. The said city is where we currently live in. It is often noted for being a barren wasteland of fun things to do, especially in the Winter when it is too cold to enjoy the mountains. (I am omitting snowboarding, of course, because that is a granted activity that is fun and that can be done in the mountains of Utah.) So I started becoming more and more familiar with internet languages. I had done a little programming on the internet before, but the learning experience that I was to go through was nothing like I expected. Towards the end of September, 2006, our website was looking good and my web programming skills were improving. I then got a job doing web development projects on campus - the best job of my life by the way. I started learning much more especially about mysql, php, and flash. Rich and I found a guy who had some graphic skills and he agreed to help us. Our site started looking good. Rich searched out all the actual content for the website. Slowly, but steadily, we formed and created this website. If you want to go check it out, the url is http://what2doatbyu.com. It's a great site, hopefully it will help people out there who are looking for fun things to do in Utah Valley, but know not where to go.

No comments: